Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Can somebody tell me why so many engineers feel the need to bash whatever format they're not using? ProTools users hate Logic. Logic users hate ProTools. Nuendo (did I spell that right?) users despise all others. I personally don't care what the format as long as the end result pleases me. I've been a ProTools guys for the longest and I like it but it doesn't bother me to work with someone on another format. I personally believe there will be several formats in Heaven . . . just tired of feeling the need to defend my friend ProTools.

Views: 82

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Fantastic Dave!!! I love it when you hear killer stories like this about someone whose so revered yet chooses to go with his gut (sorry!).
Adats Rule!

Just Kidding!
I personally use Sonar and I'm aware of it's recent use on quite a few current movies and TV shows.

But I've played on sessions with other formats that have done fine. I've come to realize the engineer's skill level and the ADDA I/O is more important to the final quality than the program itself, based on the current crop of programs.
I am a Nuendo/Cubase fan, but I have recently been learning PT M-Powered because I want to be capable using the industry standard. I'd be a fool or a fanboi not to. And thankfully so, since there are plenty of excellent books on editing and mixing in Pro Tools and precious little on most other platforms.

I agree with Lance...at this point, hardware is the main difference...the sound of the software has achieved something close to "sonic parity".
Sonar is another excellent, but more suited to the "one-man-show" type musician ... a daw user that not only records audio, but also does a lot of midi/sample editing/useage, and looping, quantizing midi AND audio, etc.. It's an amazing "in-the-box" solution, with it's closest competitor, feature-wise, being Logic. The problem with Logic (an excellent program), is you're forced to buy a mac, but with Sonar you can easily, and inexpensively use a 64 bit dual/quad cpu (yes, that's 8 cpu's), with 16 GB of ram, and Sonar is WRITTEN to efficiently use multiple cores. Definitely a program for a power user. But I agree, all the remaining progs are VERY, with each having their own strengths.
Id Like to Bash my OWN format...DP6...Crashes daily and makes me wanna back over my computer with a truck
Hey Michael - I just saw your "format bashing" comments. I understand the way you feel. The kind of thinking to which you refer has always confused and annoyed me. I won't waste space here, but I wrote an article for an online music site that hits on this kind of thing . If you feel like reading it, it's here: http://angelfire.com/music2/TimLowry/article.html.

TL
i use garageband
Doesn't matter what you use, as long as the song is good. :^)

RSS

Latest Activity

Jason Ahlbrandt updated their profile
yesterday
Al Babyok and John Heinrich are now friends
Monday
Randy Smith updated their profile
Friday
John Heinrich posted photos
Oct 16
John Heinrich updated their profile
Oct 16
John Heinrich and Paul Fey are now friends
Oct 16
Frank A. Swiech posted a status
"Why Don't people get organized and have a raise money for poor kids in Westmoreland , Or East Nashville , Or Anywhere in OUR country .???"
Oct 15
Darryl Leach updated their profile
Oct 13
Cupit Recording Studio posted songs
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio is now friends with Mitch Matthews and David Mason
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio updated their profile
Oct 9
Lisa Bevill posted a status
"If anyone needs BGV's recorded on your projects, please post on my FB page or Lisa Bevill Music: https://www.facebook.com/LisaBevillMusic"
Oct 7
Lisa Bevill is now friends with Marc Frigo, Dana B Martin, chris lee stout and 3 more
Oct 7
Terry Wendt and Al Babyok are now friends
Oct 1
Al Babyok updated their profile
Sep 30
Al Babyok and Frank A. Swiech are now friends
Sep 30

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service