Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Can somebody tell me why so many engineers feel the need to bash whatever format they're not using? ProTools users hate Logic. Logic users hate ProTools. Nuendo (did I spell that right?) users despise all others. I personally don't care what the format as long as the end result pleases me. I've been a ProTools guys for the longest and I like it but it doesn't bother me to work with someone on another format. I personally believe there will be several formats in Heaven . . . just tired of feeling the need to defend my friend ProTools.

Views: 81

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Fantastic Dave!!! I love it when you hear killer stories like this about someone whose so revered yet chooses to go with his gut (sorry!).
Adats Rule!

Just Kidding!
I personally use Sonar and I'm aware of it's recent use on quite a few current movies and TV shows.

But I've played on sessions with other formats that have done fine. I've come to realize the engineer's skill level and the ADDA I/O is more important to the final quality than the program itself, based on the current crop of programs.
I am a Nuendo/Cubase fan, but I have recently been learning PT M-Powered because I want to be capable using the industry standard. I'd be a fool or a fanboi not to. And thankfully so, since there are plenty of excellent books on editing and mixing in Pro Tools and precious little on most other platforms.

I agree with Lance...at this point, hardware is the main difference...the sound of the software has achieved something close to "sonic parity".
Sonar is another excellent, but more suited to the "one-man-show" type musician ... a daw user that not only records audio, but also does a lot of midi/sample editing/useage, and looping, quantizing midi AND audio, etc.. It's an amazing "in-the-box" solution, with it's closest competitor, feature-wise, being Logic. The problem with Logic (an excellent program), is you're forced to buy a mac, but with Sonar you can easily, and inexpensively use a 64 bit dual/quad cpu (yes, that's 8 cpu's), with 16 GB of ram, and Sonar is WRITTEN to efficiently use multiple cores. Definitely a program for a power user. But I agree, all the remaining progs are VERY, with each having their own strengths.
Id Like to Bash my OWN format...DP6...Crashes daily and makes me wanna back over my computer with a truck
Hey Michael - I just saw your "format bashing" comments. I understand the way you feel. The kind of thinking to which you refer has always confused and annoyed me. I won't waste space here, but I wrote an article for an online music site that hits on this kind of thing . If you feel like reading it, it's here: http://angelfire.com/music2/TimLowry/article.html.

TL
i use garageband
Doesn't matter what you use, as long as the song is good. :^)

RSS

Latest Activity

Prentis Goodwin posted songs
yesterday
Tommy Lee updated their profile
yesterday
Steven Bliss posted a song

play Fools Like Us

03:34
yesterday
Kristopher A Tweedy promoted Kristopher A Tweedy's profile
Saturday
Robert Jason replied to Ed Bazel's discussion Looking for best location shot for a grand piano in Nashville
Wednesday
Prentis Goodwin shared a profile on Facebook
Apr 14
Robert Jason posted a discussion
Apr 11
Pete Warren posted songs
Apr 11
Larry Sherdian posted a status
"any idea who would have/sell curtis chips for synths"
Apr 9
Glenn Thomas posted photos
Apr 9
Glenn Thomas posted a status
"Lots of new clients for Mastering. Thanks guys."
Apr 9
garytalley updated their profile
Apr 7
garytalley commented on Bret Teegarden's group Songwriters
Apr 7
garytalley posted a status
"Gary Talley's 4th Guitar and Tractor Pull at Kimbro's in hysterical downtown Franklin 7:00 Will McFarlane , Joe West , Jenny Tolman,"
Apr 7
Profile IconBuddy Blackmon, J.Paul Brittain and Joy Lemke joined Nashville Music Pros
Apr 7
Don Holmes replied to Dana B Martin's discussion Budget Home Studios
Apr 6

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service