Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

How do you handle setting the rate(s) for the work you do? Is it always "whatever I can get?" or are there some clear guidelines related to market and experience level? I've always been willing to work within any budget but sometimes I have to juggle financial needs with my desire (or necessity) to take every job that comes my way.

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately, I'm kinda in the "take whatever I can get" category. lol
Keeps me from working at Mickey D's, but it sure makes vacations long overdue, as well...

J
John,

I've seen some engineers charge say XX for engineering and then tack on an extra XX per hour for their ProTools rig. Also, I have a good friends who says XX per hour is better than 00 per hour. Especially if you have the time open. I know it's a supply and demand sort of thing.

One thing that I can't understand is someone who advertises on Craig's List that they have a HD3 Accel system and a room to track a full rhythm section for $25/HR. This does nothing but hurt everybody.

I'm sure it's the same for musicians and singers.

Sometimes I wish we were more like gas stations where you never see more than a few cents difference in price. Never gonna happen! I really don't think we all should be charging the same rate, BUT it does work pretty well for the musicians, who have a union to control this sort of thing. Then we get into the whole union, non-union debate.

What seems to work for me is to try to keep up with what my peers charge and try VERY hard NOT to undercut them. I will often tell a client that I like to get XX per hour but I certainly am willing to be flexible when there are budget concerns. Or sometimes I will just try and go the extra mile or throw in some perks. I think your years of experience and the quality of your work should also support your rate.

I don't know, you'd think that after 27 years engineering this wouldn't be a dilemma. Ha!
I definitely will get a lot of use out of this discussion! ;-) This is what us younglings need.

I will say this...I never advertise a low fee, because I don't want to be one of the many at fault for causing the loss of high quality work in this industry...but I often find myself having to work with "budgets" that are MUCH lower than even EXTREMELY conservative budgets. How do you combat this when you don't have the clientele to afford to turn down projects? btw...I'm referring to mostly garage-band/beginner songwriter stuff at this point.

Anyone else experience this?

J
Craigslist only affects people who rely on Craigslist for work. Most serious people don't shop studios through Craigslist. It all depends on the level of one's clientele.

I always ask what the budget is before deciding, but these days you have to be willing to be somewhat flexible if you want to work. Just don't totally devalue yourself and let desperation affect you too much.
Bro, I just try to stay somewhere around what my plummer gets per hour...
I must second this, however I am not sure the market will bear this any longer!!
Dang, I've been trying to keep up with my Lawyer...
Lawyer????
@#$#^
$150/hr.?
I wish we could come anywhere near to attorney's rates! LOL $400 an hour would work for me! LOL When you wish upon a star your dreams come true...
dude, plumber's make a lot! Sometimes I think I got into the wrong profession.
my dad advised me to be a plumber .... and there are times, I wonder.... you certainly can't download free plumbing
No, but I've met several sharp ex-plumbers working for Lowe's & Home Depot who found themselves short of work when so many started doing it themselves. Helps me avoid feeling singled out!

RSS

Latest Activity

Al Babyok and John Heinrich are now friends
2 hours ago
Randy Smith updated their profile
Friday
John Heinrich posted photos
Thursday
John Heinrich updated their profile
Thursday
John Heinrich and Paul Fey are now friends
Thursday
Frank A. Swiech posted a status
"Why Don't people get organized and have a raise money for poor kids in Westmoreland , Or East Nashville , Or Anywhere in OUR country .???"
Wednesday
Darryl Leach updated their profile
Oct 13
Cupit Recording Studio posted songs
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio is now friends with Mitch Matthews and David Mason
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio updated their profile
Oct 9
Lisa Bevill posted a status
"If anyone needs BGV's recorded on your projects, please post on my FB page or Lisa Bevill Music: https://www.facebook.com/LisaBevillMusic"
Oct 7
Lisa Bevill is now friends with Marc Frigo, Dana B Martin, chris lee stout and 3 more
Oct 7
Terry Wendt and Al Babyok are now friends
Oct 1
Al Babyok updated their profile
Sep 30
Al Babyok and Frank A. Swiech are now friends
Sep 30
Alex. Rockafellar updated their profile
Sep 29

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service