Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

When co-writing with other songwriters, what is the #1 thing NOT to do. Oppositely - and what is the #1 BEST practice you can suggest... Can't wait to hear your responses. I want to have honest and diverse answers. For example... I think co-writing is like dating... do you really know if you will be a co-write couple after one time? I think 2-4 sessions gives you a better sense of how the person writes. Best practice - have think skin... no one is the best writer in the whole world all the time with every song... there is always room for criticism (hopefully it will be constructive).

Tags: best, co-writes, networking, practice, professionalism, songwriting

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You have to try many partners just like real life even them lots pick the wrong one.

I'm so gladI I can do both this way I dont have to ask someone to re write something that I've decided needs another direction via the meter, to compliment the musical phrases that balance one another out.

Most lyric writers don't even understand meter, or varying the starting point like a pick up as opposed to the first beat.

Cheyenne
it's been a long time since I co-wrote but the one thing I remember is that everyone involved agreed to an equal share in the song. ( one uniquely hilarious co-write had the other writer counting how many words he had written as opposed to how many words I had written...scary...!)
get to know your co-writer and leave your ego at the door.
Something a lot of new writers don't do is to agree up front if you will go to writer's nights and play your new"hit". Some people are very protective of their good ideas and may not want you to give those good ideas away...
tg
You would think that writers would assume that it is an equal split but never assume anything, as you reply is an example of that. I have completed songs and had someone come in and help with a few lyrical things. They might end up contributing one word but as far as I'm concerned it makes them an equal in the song.
Is it common to use a standard songwriter agreement for local co-writes? Currently, I am not using agreements with co-writes here in town, but sometimes I have clients out of town that I do session work for that will give me 50% of the song rights to play on their tune to replace my session fees. That is when I use the agreement.

All the Best,
James Davis

http://CustomGuitarTracks.com
#1 thing NOT to do -----> walk in there with a "it's my way or the highway" attitude.

#1 thing TO DO ------> Be open minded and flexible.

Sincerely,

Travis + Julie

Hi Debra,

The best and most successful co-writes I have experienced were at first getting to know the other writer. I usually just talk with the other writer sharing experiences I have had and talking about friends family or anything else that come up. One of my most successful co- writing partners and I did not write a song for the first two sessions but on the third session wrote a song that has been on hold for several major artists but not cut yet. This gentleman and I have written several other good to great songs. Secondly dump your ego especially if you are writing with a more experienced successful writer. I have been lucky to have written with three number one writers and have learned a whole lot about craft just by keeping my mouth shut and listening.Also rewriting is invaluable I hope this helps.

Best,

Gary

RSS

Latest Activity

Terry Zimmerman posted photos
yesterday
Terry Zimmerman is now a member of Nashville Music Pros
yesterday
Rick Hatfield posted a status
"What's happening?"
Tuesday
Rick Hatfield updated their profile