Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Kelly Clarkson offers her two cents on record label CEO's defense o...

February 4, 2010 |  2:26 pm

The Taylor Swift Grammy Awards hoopla -- the one concerning her pitchy performance, not the four trophies she took home Sunday night -- simply will not die down, and now the original "American Idol" Kelly Clarkson is taking issue with comments that Big Machine Records Chief Executive Scott Borchetta made in Swift's defense.

Kelly took to her blog after Borchetta declared, "This is not 'American Idol.' This is not a competition of getting up and seeing who can sing the highest note. This is about a true artist and writer and communicator. It’s not about that technically perfect performance.”

Here's her take that response:

Wow …..Dear Scott Borchetta,

I understand defending your artist obviously because I have done the same in the past for artists I like, including Taylor, so you might see why its upsetting to read you attacking American Idol for producing simply vocalists that hit ‘the high notes’. Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well. Every artist has a bad performance or two and that is understandable, but throwing blame will not make the situation at hand any better. I have been criticized left and right for having shaky performances before (and they were shaky) and what my manager or label executives say to me and the public is “I’ll kick butt next time” or “every performance isn’t going to be perfect” ……I bring this up because you should take a lesson from these people and instead of lashing out at other artists (that in your ‘humble’ opinion lack true artistry), you should simply take a breath and realize that sometimes things won’t go according to plan or work out and that’s okay.

Sincerely,

One of those contestants from American Idol who only made it because of her high notes

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

GO KELLY! Scott Borchetta needs a reality check, if he thinks everyone in Nashville is incapable of singing on pitch. There are a legion of great singers who go out and do it every night...and they are not using excuses like "I couldn't hear"
Kind of a slap in the face towards the great singers, there Scott. Just because YOUR cute cash machine can't sing on pitch does not mean all of us can't.

And another thing, while I'm on a roll....for Ms. Swift to stand on the Grammy awards stage and thank her producer for "letting me writer EVERY SINGLE SONG ON MY ALBUM" is just unbelievable...does she believe, now, that her co-writers, who are the ones who carried her along...now, no longer exist? Wow. just Wow.

And before anyone says "well, if you got a big award, you might get tongue tied" I'll say this: that was a rehearsed acceptance speech, make no mistake. And I have gotten big awards in my genre...but never gave myself credit that was not mine to take.
Cute girl, cute teenager songs, can't sing, and now claims she is the sole writer of her songs. That last one did it for me...cute is as cute does, and that was pretty pig-like. She owes every writer who has packed her along a HUGE apology.
Juni rocks!
Seriously, Juni - all of your points are spot on. Ignoring the co-writers, the publicity machine, the engineer and producer who got the best performance they could and massaged it into something useable, the cash that got the ball rolling, the musicians who worked on the record - acting as though Taylor just appeared over Northern Davidson County and mesmerized a generation of music buyers is at least disingenuous, and at most, flat out dishonest.

A heck of a lot of the praise directed towards Taylor has been of the "She writes so well for someone so young" school. Well, she's 20 now, and pretty soon she'll need to either write well as an adult or she'll be run over by other writers who can also sing circles around her.

Or not. :)
Did you read Scott Borchetta's message? Maybe there's more than one, if so clue me in-- but here's what I am aware of. This is a response he made to The Tennessean:

“The facts say she is the undisputed best communicator that we’ve got," Borchetta said. "So when she says something or feels something it affects more people than anybody else. Maybe she’s not the best technical singer, but she is the best emotional singer. Everybody gets up there and is technically perfect people don’t seem to want more of it. There’s not an artist in any other format that people want more of than they want of Taylor. I think (the critics) are missing the whole voice of a generation that is happening right in front of them. Maybe they are jealous or can’t understand that. But obviously the people that she talks to are engaged with her. No one is perfect on any given day. Maybe in that moment we didn’t have the best night, but in the same breath, maybe we did.”

He didn't say anyone else can't sing. He didn't say singing well is bad either, something I've heard people attribute to him. All he said was: people love Taylor's songs. She didn't sing well on Grammy night, but there are people who sing perfectly and aren't more interesting.
Of course I read Scott's whole "message" And has been edited.
He made a litany of lame excuses, as can be expected. That statement is edited more every time I see it, and I read the first statement he published in the Tennessean.

I did not hear Beyonce sing a bad note, nor Lady Gaga, nor Pink, nor Smokey Robinson, nor Celine Dion. Are they more interesting to ME than an off pitch kid? Yes. I love the emotion and range they are all capable of using. Maybe some of us are not interested in hearing something that is just not good. I would rather that an artist is rewarded for artistry: not for magic in the studio. So great singers who have shown, throughout their careers are more interesting JUST to me. To each his own.
A part of his comment was left out Gavin....

“The facts say she is the undisputed best communicator that we’ve got," Borchetta said. "So when she says something or feels something it affects more people than anybody else. Maybe she’s not the best technical singer, but she is the best emotional singer. Everybody gets up there and is technically perfect people don’t seem to want more of it. There’s not an artist in any other format that people want more of than they want of Taylor. I think (the critics) are missing the whole voice of a generation that is happening right in front of them. Maybe they are jealous or can’t understand that. But obviously the people that she talks to are engaged with her. No one is perfect on any given day. Maybe in that moment we didn’t have the best night, but in the same breath, maybe we did.”>.....“This is not American Idol. This is not a competition of getting up and seeing who can sing the highest note. This is about a true artist and writer and communicator. It’s not about that technically perfect performance.”

That completes the paragraph as Steve pointed out.
I find all of this very interesting. Every one of these artists are in a business that could very well be on it's last legs as the general public ceases to want to pay for music or creative work in any way shape or fashion, something hits that is a wave that will at least for awhile boost interest in Nashville, country music and will increase work in studios and anything Nashville for a while and every one is sniping at a couple of bad notes like it is the end of the world. American Idol is one of the reasons very few venues exist for live music any more to build the old days of being able to work to learn your chops and a bunch of mediocre karaoke singers are now able to claim someone is cutting in on their territory.

And a bunch of writers and artists who can't build much of anything complaining about someone who does. No wonder the music industry is in the toilet. Why don't we just all request loans from the government that we can't pay back either. That seems to be working for every other industry going in the tank these days.

If the music business, live music, creative music, creative endevors etc. go under for good we deserve it. We eat our own and have no bigger forsight than our own living rooms. If we can't give the public what they want and they feel it is not worth anything financially, they will reward us in kind. Maybe none of us are worth paying anything for.

We get what we deserve.

MAB
I'm not so sure Kelly Clarkson is upset about Taylor's success as she is at the somewhat demeaning comments of her label exec toward the rest of the industry, who, in my opinion work every bit as hard as Taylor. I feel her response was a natural expression what happens when someone defensively tears others down to build themselves up. For what ever reason. I don't even know why Taylor's label should even need to defend her? Just accept the award, ignore the detractors and make another great record.

Why not be more upset at the NARAS voters who voted for her. If she can't sing, then we don't know what constitutes a great artist and a great record.

As far as I am concerned, complaining about complainers is just more complaining. Why don't we all just make some great music today. I write this as three young guys practice for a coffee house show in my basement. You know, they really aren't great singers either....but they're having a great time!
I'm so sick of you always complaining about complainers complaining, Bret.
Well, there went your gig! :)
at the coffee house?
no, the out house.
badoomp-chink!

RSS

Latest Activity

Kirk Thompson Producer/engineer left a comment for Tia Blanton
Monday
Billy Smiley updated their profile
Monday
Frank A. Swiech and John Heinrich are now friends
Oct 25
Jason Ahlbrandt updated their profile
Oct 22
Randy Smith updated their profile
Oct 17
John Heinrich posted photos
Oct 16
John Heinrich updated their profile
Oct 16
John Heinrich and Paul Fey are now friends
Oct 16
Frank A. Swiech posted a status
"Why Don't people get organized and have a raise money for poor kids in Westmoreland , Or East Nashville , Or Anywhere in OUR country .???"
Oct 15
Darryl Leach updated their profile
Oct 13
Cupit Recording Studio posted songs
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio is now friends with Mitch Matthews and David Mason
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio updated their profile
Oct 9
Lisa Bevill posted a status
"If anyone needs BGV's recorded on your projects, please post on my FB page or Lisa Bevill Music: https://www.facebook.com/LisaBevillMusic"
Oct 7
Lisa Bevill is now friends with Marc Frigo, Dana B Martin, chris lee stout and 3 more
Oct 7
Terry Wendt and Al Babyok are now friends
Oct 1

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service