Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

The topic on Influential Guitarisits by Glenn Spinner gave me this idea. Drunners most often dont get the recognition they deserve I would like to hear opinions on who people think were influential drummers those who got recognition for how good they play or influential in their styles and changing things. Heres my picks

John Bonham

Neil Peart

Carl Palmer

Buddy Rich

Ian Paice

Ginger Baker

Mitch Mitchell

Carmine Appice

Ringo Starr

Alan White

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff Porcaro

Vinnie Colaiuta

Gary Novak( a friend )

Abe Laboriel Jr.

Matt Chamberlain

Sean Paddock( a friend )

Steve Jordan

Carlos Vega

Steve Gadd

Al Foster

Manu Katche

Al Jackson Jr.

Tony Williams

Roy Haynes

The first 5 or 6 on this list usually tend to be on A LOT of the records I'm listening too the most :-)
Being a rock n' roller myself I can relate to a number of your choices, however, you do not have a single Nashville drummer on your list, there have been several, most notably, my dear friend and former bandmate, Kenny Buttrey who passed away in 2004 from cancer...No doubt, the list you have assembled has some powerhouse players on it however, for the most part, their influence was restricted to a certain genre of music, most, in rock, whereas someone like, Buddy Rich, of course excelled in Jazz and Big band sounds. Surprised actually that you omitted, Alex Van Halen and Jeff Porcaro...

I really have no need to try and introduce you to the works of Kenny Buttrey, you likely grew up unknowingly hearing him, and if you listen to any type of radio for any length of time these days it's inevitable you will hear his playing, to list his discography would fill this page...With Bob Dylan, The Nashville Skyline album which included, "Lay Lady Lay", the John Wesley Harding album with the original version of, "All Along The Watchtower", the "Blonde On Blonde" album with "Rainy Day Women", etc. Neil Young's "Harvest" and "Harvest Moon" albums, Jimmy Buffett, the iconic, "Margaritaville" and "Cheeseburger In Paradise", J.J. Cale's original version of, "Cocaine", the list is near endless and includes albums with, Elvis, Bob Seeger, Dan Fogleberg, the Pointer Sisters, George Harrison, Manhatten Transfer, Gordon Lightfoot, Joan Baez, Steve Forbert, Jewel, and on and on, now "that's" diversity...His first hit recording, by the way, he was sixteen years old, was, "Harper Valley P.T.A." Oh, did I mention he was also the drummer and a founding member of both Nashville original "super" groups, Area Code 615 and Barefoot Jerry...

Anyway, you asked, here's my nominee...
Heres a list that have influenced my life as a drummer..
Warren "Baby" Dodds
Tony Williams
Jeff Porcaro
Joe Porcaro
Ralph Humphrey
Larrie Londin
Elvin Jones
Steve Gadd
Roy Haynes
Richie Hayward
John Bonham
Greg Morrow
Vinnie Colaiuta
Matt Abts
Jerry Gaskill
Pete Thomas
Simon Phillips
Keith Moon
Ringo Starr
Mark Craney
Chad Cromwell
Zutty Singleton
Zigaboo
Tommy Aldridge
Philly Joe Jones
Bill Stewart
Casey Scheurell
Toss Panos
My list of primaries (and I'm sure I'm missing some).....

Steve Gadd
Jeff Porcaro
John Robinson
Steve Ferrone
Steve Jordan
Ron Aston
Buddy Rich
Fred Petry
Gregg Bissonette
Vinnie Colaiuta
Gary Novak
Bob Wilson
Jack DeJohnette
Peter Erskine
Jeff Ballard
John Bonham
Mick Fleetwood
I like that list.
Glad to see Mick Fleetwood mentioned.
He's probably in the top 5 most underrated drummers, and his grooves are infectious and additive.
Man everyone named some heavy hitters. I am surprised David Garibaldi, Larrie London, and Billy Cobham were left out.
Peace
Me too.
Great lists and awsome drummers I'll add Daniel Peter "Danny" Seraphine to the list. I have always stuck up for him.
And a big ditto on Larrie Londin (Ralph Gallant) I was honored to work with him and still miss him.
Off the top of my head some I've admired the most;
Buddy Rich
Max Roach
Elvin Jones
Roy Haynes
Art Blakey
Jack DeJohnette
Tony Williams
Joe Morello
Kenny Clarke
Billy Cobham
Gene Krupa
Dave Weckl
Peter Erskine
Louis Bellson
I was thinking about music that influenced me and most names were on there...
but to add a few off the top of my head....
Steve Smith
Clem Burke
Myron Grombacher
Like it or not... and we all hate to admit it.... but here goes: Peter Criss

Then I started thinking about music I listened to as a kid, but didn't practice to, like I did with Journey and Toto and Blondie, etc. I looked at these lists again and noticed, if you take Jazz out of the equation, the lists are pretty "white." I do see Jordan and Ferrone in there.

But in Nashville, I would expect to hear a bunch of other names. I mean, I can't go to a blues jam, downtown, without hearing or playing songs crafted at Motown and Muscle Shoals, or Stax in Memphis (Ebbert listed Al Jackson Jr.), or the obligatory James Brown classics.

So here some of are those guys...

Benny Benjamin, Uriel Jones, Richard "Pistol" Allen
Roger Hawkins
Clyde Stubblefield, "Jabo" Starks, Melvin Parker

While I'm at it, any kid who grew up playing black gospel, depending on his age, brought in the influence of Dennis Chambers or Carter Beauford.
NO SHANNON FOREST?! In Nashville no less?! ;-) The guy is our Steve Gadd/Jeff Porcaro/Carlos Vega all wrapped in one. (Oh, and he's probably one of the best engineers in town to boot!) Also, stunned not to see Keith Carlock: He's my vote if I have to go with one guy in any musical setting. (Evidence Oz Noy to Steely Dan, to Sting, to now playing with John Mayer. Oh, and regarding John Mayer: JJ Johnson is insanely grooving!) Absolutely stoked to see Matt Chamberlain, and Steve Ferrone on people's lists as they are two of the most unique/tasteful drummers I've ever heard.

Other than giving the afore-mentioned gentlemen their props, I think everyone's lists are fantastic, and just I'd add some guys that have meant so much to me as a drummer/been huge influence's. Also, since so many of the legends have been addressed I'll throw in a few of the younger guns that have been coming up in recent years-

Phil Gould- (Level 42)- The guy I've spent my life trying to sound like.

Gary Husband- (Alan Holdsworth/Level 42)

Mark Lanter- (Teaches at UAB/Formerly of The Cast/Forecast/Vova Nova)- Probably the single most influential drummer on my playing.

Ed Metz- Amazing drummer from Count Basie/Disney Show Drummer, and a mentor during my days as a drummer at Disney

Marcus Finney- Nashville Groove Machine, and sweetheart of a guy.

Ronald Bruner Jr. (Stanley Clarke/Suicidal Tendencies) Probably one of the scariest drummer's to come along in years: Taste/Chops/Devastating Groove etc.

Idris Muhammad- New Orleans Jazz Legend

Ed Blackwell- Another New Orleans Monster

"Mean" Willie Green- Neville Brothers

Horacio Hernandez- One Man Cuban Folkloric Percussion Section

Dafnis Prieto- Dominican World/Jazz

Jeff "Tain" Watts- Marsalis Clan, and Numerous Jazz Legends

Omar Hakim- *His playing on Sting's "Bring On The Night" DVD, and "Dream of The Blue Turtles" albums changed my life!

Denny Fongheiser- One of the great unsung LA Session drummers. (That's him on Counting Crowes' "Mr. Jones", and Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" etc.)

Michael Bland- (Prince's New Power Generation, and more recently Nick Jonas)- I can count the times I've jammed along to Sexy MF or Diamond's and Pearls!

Rick & Jerry Marotta- So underrated yet contributed so much to modern music with Peter Gabriel etc.

Tom Brechtlein- One of Chick's most underrated drummers.

Tommy Igoe- (Disney's Lion King/Super Educator)- This guy is a beast, and NEVER gets the love he deserves outside of his educational pursuits. He's a personal favorite as we marched drum corps opposite each other in the early 80's (he was in the Bayonne Bridgemen)

Lastly- Locally I'm blown away by the likes of Nick Buda, Matt Billingsly, Greg Loeman, Dave Black, and so many of the other fantastic tour drummers who are often overlooked in the whole "session" vs. "road" drummer discussion.

***By the way- Greg's list is absolutely a who's who of giants who's album performances have been the lifeblood of my musical pursuits. Hell of a list Greg! So good I'm pasting it here for good measure. ;-)

Warren "Baby" Dodds
Tony Williams
Jeff Porcaro
Joe Porcaro
Ralph Humphrey
Larrie Londin
Elvin Jones
Steve Gadd
Roy Haynes
Richie Hayward
John Bonham
Greg Morrow
Vinnie Colaiuta
Matt Abts
Jerry Gaskill
Pete Thomas
Simon Phillips
Keith Moon
Ringo Starr
Mark Craney
Chad Cromwell
Zutty Singleton
Zigaboo
Tommy Aldridge
Philly Joe Jones
Bill Stewart
Casey Scheurell
Toss Panos

*Richie Hayward was one of the most original players I ever heard in my life. LOVE me some Little Feat!! Lastly, great to see Louis Bellson listed- His was the first drum clinic I ever attended in my teens, and I had the opportunity to spend a week with him in college when he was a featured artist with our big band at the University of North Florida. One of the classiest, most open-minded human beings I've ever had the good fortune to spend time around. He truly was one of the most underrated drummers of all time/all too often was lost in the shadow of Rich, and Krupa. (Buddy tirelessly promoted Louis as HIS favorite drummer, along with Papa Joe.) May you rest in peace Louis.

RSS

Latest Activity

Terry Zimmerman posted photos
Thursday
Terry Zimmerman is now a member of Nashville Music Pros
Thursday
Rick Hatfield posted a status
"What's happening?"
Tuesday
Rick Hatfield updated their profile
Tuesday
Joshua Crosby is now a member of Nashville Music Pros