Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Oh yes, my friends, give me the weekend..... There WILL be a blog........... Feel free to start without me......

I guess the pictures didn't post..... Waves new "Vocal Rider"

"Vocal Rider is the first of Waves pioneering new series of Mix tools. Simply put, Vocal Rider rides the levels of vocal tracks, automatically.

Instead of manually riding the physical mixing console fader, or tediously drawing in each individual level change on a DAW track, Vocal Rider does it for you, making it a true timesaver.

All you need to do is set the target range of the vocal level in relation to the rest of the mix. Then, Vocal Rider compensates for all deviations from the target, intelligently raising or lowering the vocal volume, instantly. And unlike everyday compression, Vocal Rider adds absolutely no additional coloring to the track."

So much for the art of mixing.......... Like I said, give me the weekend.........

Views: 25

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm new to the forum. Glad to be here!

I wanted to chime in on Waves. I've been using the Gold Bundle for years and as much as I've resented the poor customer service and the WUP I've really valued their stuff enough to keep going. Maybe others make better for cheaper with better service, but you know how it is...you find something you love that works for you and that you have lots of practice on and you pretty much stick with it.. Recently I had some technical problems and I contacted customer service and I have to say that Waves must have finally gotten the message and responded to all the bad press. Surpisingly, I was treated with respect, urgency, and they acted instantly to resolve my issue. I totally understand people's frustration with the update play but last year they threw in a free compressor called the H-Comp to the Gold bundle and it's one of my go to plugs now for vocals that need to be reeled in. I only use one preset on it...Tight Vocal...and in my opinion its fantastic. I don't use it all the time...only on stuff where the vocal really needs attention. It saves me a LOT of time drawing volume curves.

Speaking of drawing volume curves, as for the discussion on the new Vocal Rider, I've considered buying this because I have spent considerable time drawing volume curves on indie client project vocals. It's very time consuming and I've always thought if there was a plug that could shorten my time on that task that would be great. From what I've heard the Vocal Rider is just that plug and from what I've heard, it works like magic. As to whether it sucks the human element out of mixing I can only see that happening if it was over applied...if the threshold or whatever were set so low that it just flattens it. As always, moderation is everything. If I had it I'd probalby use it to get the process started to save me time and then go in and finish the little stuff by hand. I don't think that would be thumbing my nose to old school mixing or having 'machines to the work' by any means. Some of my work I love having machines to, but never at the expense of vibe or texture of the production. I have to trust my ears for that more than anything else.

Regards,

Bill Renfrew
But can it write a Hit Song?
First of all I would just like to say hello to everyone. I'm new to the forum and think it's a really beautiful thing to have for folks in our industry.

I've always found it amusing that software companies believe what we do is science and can be generated in a "Plug-in".
While some plugins are great tools, I don't feel that they will ever be able to emulate a true artist of his craft, as an artist is simply a life of constant change and progression.
I remember reading somewhere that a company received roughly 4 million dollars to develop an "auto mix" software. The goal was to allow people with absolutely no musical knowledge to be able to create songs in a guitar hero style environment and have the whole thing mixed by selecting the style of song you created and it will give you a digital file to give to your family and friends.
Various companies are also working on auto mixing for live sound as well.

It's funny though, how musicians are throwing their protools rigs in the garbage and getting back to just being able to play and sing. Recording everything to 8 track real to real. Really it's beautiful and a big slap in the face to software companies. God bless the unpredictability of artists!

Sorry to rant! Have a great day fellas!
Funny, but...

1. If they didn't know how to sing before throwing out their rig, they likely don't know how to do it afterwards. Analog tape doesn't help people sing better, play better, or write better songs. Tube gear doesn't help with these things either.

2. If they are throwing out their gear, please let me know, and I'll come take out the trash for them. I will find a way to make music with it.

3. What we do IS science and it is also art. Art without science is basically undelivered art. I doubt you'd be able to convince Les Paul that he was not using science when he created the multi-track. It takes science to align a tape head. It takes science to design a room. Math too. Software companies give us extra tools to use. They give us more choices as to which tools we use.

4. Would you trade in your current cell phone for an old land-line rotary dial?

5. If someone can use an auto-mix and make a few bucks doing it because it works for some, then more power to them. There's nothing wrong with the software. It's the folks using it.

Sort of like how guns don't kill people.... Bullets do.
And Welcome, Seth.
Thanks for the welcome Pete! I would definitely agree that no amount of equipment makes you more or less talented.
And yes in the right hands software is absolutely wonderful and incredible. I would just hate to see people relying solely on the vocal rider plugin. As in, put it on and call it a day. I like what Bob was saying about it.
Thanks again for the welcome and have a great day!
Would anyone soley rely on a vocal rider? Who would do that?

RSS

Latest Activity

Prentis Goodwin posted songs
22 hours ago
Tommy Lee updated their profile
yesterday
Steven Bliss posted a song

play Fools Like Us

03:34
yesterday
Kristopher A Tweedy promoted Kristopher A Tweedy's profile
Saturday
Robert Jason replied to Ed Bazel's discussion Looking for best location shot for a grand piano in Nashville
Wednesday
Prentis Goodwin shared a profile on Facebook
Apr 14
Robert Jason posted a discussion
Apr 11
Pete Warren posted songs
Apr 11
Larry Sherdian posted a status
"any idea who would have/sell curtis chips for synths"
Apr 9
Glenn Thomas posted photos
Apr 9
Glenn Thomas posted a status
"Lots of new clients for Mastering. Thanks guys."
Apr 9
garytalley updated their profile
Apr 7
garytalley commented on Bret Teegarden's group Songwriters
Apr 7
garytalley posted a status
"Gary Talley's 4th Guitar and Tractor Pull at Kimbro's in hysterical downtown Franklin 7:00 Will McFarlane , Joe West , Jenny Tolman,"
Apr 7
Profile IconBuddy Blackmon, J.Paul Brittain and Joy Lemke joined Nashville Music Pros
Apr 7
Don Holmes replied to Dana B Martin's discussion Budget Home Studios
Apr 6

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service