Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

I'm preparing to migrate my studio to a PC based DAW situation.  I'm trying to decide between Cubase and ProTools.  The discussions I have read never mention whether or not the Pro Tools solution they endorse is the HD/Card assisted version (though I assume it probably is). My question is, is anybody running software only protools on a PC and happy with it?  Or am I correct in assuming I'd be better off with Cubase?

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really depends on your needs Gregory. If you need the extended track counts and processing power offered by the HD version then it will be best, but if you are just mixing a lot or only recording 16-24 tracks at a time, then you certainly can go with a native based version. Actually the newer versions of ProTools all use native processing (non card based) extensively. So, if you are doing song demos or mixing, save your money and stay away from HD. If you are recording a film score and doing dialog replacement, foley sound effects and music layback, then HD is the call.

ok, thanks for the response.

Curious, why are you going the direction of running on a PC based system instead of a Mac?

Sorry, I didn't explain that well; I'm not migrating from a mac, but from an older analog/digital standaloneHD situation.

We have six Pro Tools HD systems (v8.1.1.1) and four Pro Tools LE systems on Windows. Very reliable and stable. We have not tested a Windows7 /v10 HDX or Native system yet.

I'm using PT9 native and you get 48 stereo tracks these days!! Plenty for just about anything, I submit.

RSS

Latest Activity

Tommy Lee updated their profile
4 hours ago
Steven Bliss posted a song

play Fools Like Us

03:34
8 hours ago
Kristopher A Tweedy promoted Kristopher A Tweedy's profile
21 hours ago
Robert Jason replied to Ed Bazel's discussion Looking for best location shot for a grand piano in Nashville
Wednesday
Prentis Goodwin shared a profile on Facebook
Monday
Robert Jason posted a discussion
Apr 11
Pete Warren posted songs
Apr 11
Larry Sherdian posted a status
"any idea who would have/sell curtis chips for synths"
Apr 9
Glenn Thomas posted photos
Apr 9
Glenn Thomas posted a status
"Lots of new clients for Mastering. Thanks guys."
Apr 9
garytalley updated their profile
Apr 7
garytalley commented on Bret Teegarden's group Songwriters
Apr 7
garytalley posted a status
"Gary Talley's 4th Guitar and Tractor Pull at Kimbro's in hysterical downtown Franklin 7:00 Will McFarlane , Joe West , Jenny Tolman,"
Apr 7
Profile IconBuddy Blackmon, J.Paul Brittain and Joy Lemke joined Nashville Music Pros
Apr 7
Don Holmes replied to Dana B Martin's discussion Budget Home Studios
Apr 6
Don Holmes replied to Dana B Martin's discussion Budget Home Studios
Apr 6

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service