Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

I'm preparing to migrate my studio to a PC based DAW situation.  I'm trying to decide between Cubase and ProTools.  The discussions I have read never mention whether or not the Pro Tools solution they endorse is the HD/Card assisted version (though I assume it probably is). My question is, is anybody running software only protools on a PC and happy with it?  Or am I correct in assuming I'd be better off with Cubase?

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really depends on your needs Gregory. If you need the extended track counts and processing power offered by the HD version then it will be best, but if you are just mixing a lot or only recording 16-24 tracks at a time, then you certainly can go with a native based version. Actually the newer versions of ProTools all use native processing (non card based) extensively. So, if you are doing song demos or mixing, save your money and stay away from HD. If you are recording a film score and doing dialog replacement, foley sound effects and music layback, then HD is the call.

ok, thanks for the response.

Curious, why are you going the direction of running on a PC based system instead of a Mac?

Sorry, I didn't explain that well; I'm not migrating from a mac, but from an older analog/digital standaloneHD situation.

We have six Pro Tools HD systems (v8.1.1.1) and four Pro Tools LE systems on Windows. Very reliable and stable. We have not tested a Windows7 /v10 HDX or Native system yet.

I'm using PT9 native and you get 48 stereo tracks these days!! Plenty for just about anything, I submit.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Heinrich posted a status
"Honored to be performing with the "Man" Ronnie Milsap at the Country Music Hall Of Fame this Saturday!"
yesterday
Cody Navarro is now a member of Nashville Music Pros
yesterday
Mr "NOBODY" Jones posted a photo
yesterday
Profile IconOwen Lindaman, ROBERT CAVANAUGH, Galen Butler and 7 more joined Nashville Music Pros
Monday
Stephen Rockford Hammond posted photos
Sunday
Terry Zimmerman posted photos
Nov 20
Terry Zimmerman is now a member of Nashville Music Pros
Nov 20
Rick Hatfield posted a status
"What's happening?"
Nov 17
Rick Hatfield updated their profile
Nov 17