Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

ProTools 9 is really here? Works with third party hardware????

ProTools FINALLY opened up it's software for use with third party firewire and USB interfaces and will support 32 simultaneous inputs. However, unless you are on HD or buy their new native interfaces, there seems to be no way to combine multiple interfaces for 32 in.

There is some talk about using the aggregate interface features of MacOS if software drivers allow, but Digi drivers do not support the aggregate feature.

This brings me to my question.

What would be the most cost effective way to support 32 inputs in ProTools 9?

In my setup, I have a 003 rack and a MOTU 828 mkII. I cannot run both interfaces simultaneously to get 32 in but I use the MOTU to convert my analog pres into the 003 light pipe input. Then for less critical sources, I just use the analog inputs on the 003, all clocked with an Apogee Big Ben. Using the SPDIF output on one stereo preamp, I can get a total of 18 simultaneous inputs, which is more than adequate for small tracking sessions.

However, for the occasional remote session, I need 24 to 32 inputs. So far, renting a couple of 24 channel hard disk recorders has worked fine, but it would be nice to get 32 in on ProTools 9 software.

What are your plans for PT9?

Views: 166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think we're going to see a lot of rental packages become available for just this sort of thing.
We're going to be upgrading to the new RME Fireface UFX pretty soon. 12 analog I/O, 16 ADAT I/O, 2 AES I/O, for a combined total of 30 I/O at standard sample rates. The converters are based on their top of the line ADI-8 QS. Not super cheap, but not super expensive either. That plus an extra converter gets you close.
Kudos for the Auto Delay Compensation, OMF interchange support, multitrack Beat Detective, and MP3 output, plus all the extra voices and instruments support all being standard, but how much would it have taken to give us individual track input mode on all levels? I'd almost pay extra for VST and AU plug-in support as well. Maybe someday.

Here is a nice grid of all the versions and feature comparisons: http://www.avid.com/us/products/family/Pro-Tools/compare
Can anyone walk me through the upgrade process for Pro Tools 9? I purchased the upgrade and (oops) installed it before updating my MBox2 Pro driver. I then downloaded the new driver, but alas, my interface is still unrecognized. Do I need to re-install my original ProTools 7, then upgrade to 9 again? Do I trash the curent driver and download it again.....oh, the pain....the pain......
Thanks
eddiek (k is for konfused)
Generally, you have to uninstall the previous version before installing the upgrade. There should be a utility for this purpose.

Eddie Kilgallon said:
Can anyone walk me through the upgrade process for Pro Tools 9? I purchased the upgrade and (oops) installed it before updating my MBox2 Pro driver. I then downloaded the new driver, but alas, my interface is still unrecognized. Do I need to re-install my original ProTools 7, then upgrade to 9 again? Do I trash the curent driver and download it again.....oh, the pain....the pain......
Thanks
eddiek (k is for konfused)
Pro Tools 9, unlike previous versions, requires that the drivers always be installed first because they are no longer a part of the application.

I strongly advise reading the documentation before installing because it's really a different product.
THANKS!! I downloaded the new driver, installed it and it worked. It took 3 tries for some reason.....?
Also, when I play a virtual instrument, my alert beep chimes with every stroke of the piano keyboard. I went into system prefs and turned my alert volume down to zero. Bizzare!

Thanks for helping out! Cheers!
Hey bret-

check that- i installed PT 9 yesterday configured it for my Tascam DM4800 and i was off to the races-

I exported a song from Digital Performer 7.2 and opened it in ProTools and it came right up- had to tweak the clocking a bit and the plug-ins didn't load on the individual tracks but all the files were there with fades even the automation showed up !!! it was awesome to see-

i can finally work in two disparate DAW's and hand a mix engineer a ProTools file that accurately represents my DP7 workflow !!!

RSS

Latest Activity

Terry Zimmerman posted photos
Thursday
Terry Zimmerman is now a member of Nashville Music Pros
Thursday
Rick Hatfield posted a status
"What's happening?"
Tuesday
Rick Hatfield updated their profile
Tuesday
Joshua Crosby is now a member of Nashville Music Pros