Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Hey folks, I have a question. We own a PC and are looking for VERY USER FRIENDLY (meaning EASY to learn) recording software. It definitely needs to be multi track. The purpose is for high quality work session recordings, not master quality recordings. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much.
-Camilla
Banner Music

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pro Tools Mbox
Personally I think the most intuitive interface that is also cross-platform is from Cubase. I really think Sonar is excellent, and perhaps even the PC's answer to Logic Pro with all they put into their pro version for the price and its features. However, I think its a solid idea to learn a software program that is cross-platform, be it Pro Tools LE, or Cubase, in particular, because this allows your husband to easily work on somebody's else's system should that need ever arise, and also allows him to be instantly productive should he (ducking and running from PC users now), should he, here it comes, decide to UPGRADE to a Mac for recording. :)
Of course without compatible hardware ie a designated DAW Computer built and tweaked for digital audio, your software will only perform as well as the weakest link in the system. So if you are using your personal PC that you use for everyday computing your most likely going to run into difficulty at some point.
Check out my website www.dawsrus.com for more info and if you need a powerful PC tweaked for audio get in touch!

Roy Vogt said:
If you don't have to worry about cross-platform collaboration w/larger studios Cakewalk Home Studio or Sonar is pretty easy to learn. If you've not set anything else up on your computer and don't have an interface yet you might investigate M-Audio's Pro-Tools M-powered interfaces and Pro-Tools M-powered software. It's a version of Pro-Tools LE that is compatible with larger Pro Tools systems in bigger studios in case you wish to take your demo to a big room and put the "sparkle" on things.
Of course, there's always Pro Tools LE and the various Digidesign interfaces as well.
I find Sonar much more powerful and intuitive compared to Pro Tools LE, but Pro-Tools is so darn ubiquitous here in Nashville I would advise anyone starting a home studio from scratch to go ahead and get it....
Yeah I agree , I think pro tools is the way to go if you can, ever since the first time I recorded with a real engineer and saw what he could do the pro tools, I was hooked.
You never know what a demo will turn into. Compatibility with virtually any studio doing professional work makes pro tools a no-brainer. It isn't all that hard to learn unless you are used to MIDI sequencers.
I am testing the Audition for Mac beta release, and I know CEP and three versions of Audition for windows like the back of my hand. Audition is a great way to go, by v3 for windows the feature set had really bloomed into something useful. The mac beta still has a few bugs, but I think it's open for general beta testing if you want to download it and give it a try!

Jim 'The Reverb King' Brown said:
Does anybody else use Adobe Audition? I started using Cool Edit when it first came out (tech support at that time was the guy who wrote the program) and upgraded to cepro and now Audition and have always been happy with the results and the price is much lower than the competition. Of course this didn't become a real multi-track program until Audition came out but I still don't use it for tracking...

As for compatibility, I can open the files (.wav or otherwise) recorded in any software so it's never been an issue that clients use PTs or whatever - I have had issues going the opposite direction but it was probably user ignorance since I can't imagine that PT would not allow for opening files from Audition (or it's a really nasty marketing trick).

Camilla, I'm probably the least knowledgable of the folks here, but I've used Cakewalk Homestudio for years, and more recently Sonar X1 Producer.

I really like them and feel that Sonar is the equal of ProTools in terms of features and ease of use (dont shoot me, just my opinion), in addition to being less expensive. Collaboration has not been a problem for me, partly because of the universality of .wav files, and because Sonar can record and save in multiple file formats, including AIF and AIFF.

It should be noted, though, that any sequencer I know about still has a fairly extensive feature set and has a relatively steep learning curve for the novice. Some fairly concentrated study should be undertaken up front before diving in. This is not to say prohibitively complex, just not necessarily intuitive.

FYI, If you have a Mac, in the App store, you can download Logic Pro for $199 only.  It's $499 in the store in the box.  Same exact software, I'm told.  Same contents.  One is a download, one comes in a box.  As a matter of fact, if you have multiple computers on the same account, that means you can download it to multiple computers normally, as that's typically how the App Store licenses works (double check my intel here).

Camilla, my family and I  are currently living in Shelbyville, also. I have a copy of Sonar LE version 6 that you're welcome to if you need it. I think you can do 64 audio tracks and unlimited MIDI tracks with it. If you're interested let me know and I'll message you my phone number.

RSS

Latest Activity

Kirk Thompson Producer/engineer left a comment for Tia Blanton
Monday
Billy Smiley updated their profile
Monday
Frank A. Swiech and John Heinrich are now friends
Saturday
Jason Ahlbrandt updated their profile
Oct 22
Randy Smith updated their profile
Oct 17
John Heinrich posted photos
Oct 16
John Heinrich updated their profile
Oct 16
John Heinrich and Paul Fey are now friends
Oct 16
Frank A. Swiech posted a status
"Why Don't people get organized and have a raise money for poor kids in Westmoreland , Or East Nashville , Or Anywhere in OUR country .???"
Oct 15
Darryl Leach updated their profile
Oct 13
Cupit Recording Studio posted songs
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio is now friends with Mitch Matthews and David Mason
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio updated their profile
Oct 9
Lisa Bevill posted a status
"If anyone needs BGV's recorded on your projects, please post on my FB page or Lisa Bevill Music: https://www.facebook.com/LisaBevillMusic"
Oct 7
Lisa Bevill is now friends with Marc Frigo, Dana B Martin, chris lee stout and 3 more
Oct 7
Terry Wendt and Al Babyok are now friends
Oct 1

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service