Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Yesterday I got a call from a husky voiced lady I guess to be an olderly lady.... She asked the question... Hello can you tell my how I can get a record deal? After a couple questions I find out that she decided that she wanted to start a career as a singer and be a star..... I asked her how many dates did she do a year... she's says I just thinking about starting to sing out..

I guess what I wish is that people would at least go online and read some stuff before calling a recording studio to talk to someone and take up their time to get a education on the music business.

Kirk

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My pet peeve? Spelling errors ;-)
Sorry
My pet peeve is drinking on the gig. Playing music is a profession, not a party!
Yes, true. My Pet Pieve is this: The conversation turns to the subject of my playing music and the person asks, "What kind of music do you play?" and I tell them. Then they say, "Oh, I don't like that." It's like a knee jerk reaction and it doesn't matter what kind of music you tell them you play. This type of person always says they don't like it, whatever genre it is. I've learned to come back with, "Oh really? What type of music do you prefer?" When they tell me, I tell them I like it too just like I like all kinds of music. It snubs the snub.
Mine is the occassional session player who tells me what kind of EQ settings and effects they want on the part they just played. Doesn't happen often, thankfully, but makes me want to chase them out of the studio with a number 9 skillet every time it does.
LOL! My biggest Pet Peeves!

1] People who come to town (Musicians or Artist) who expect everything handed to them on a golden platter without any serious work. I have seen a great amount of Artist, wishing some one could just discover them, but they are unwilling to work, tour, etc... Whether Musician or Artist - you must run your business and work hard for success.

2] Along these lines, those who think they are exempt from paying their dues (Starbucks running in the studio - LOL!)

3] A recent engineer graduate from your local engineering studio - thinking he no longer needs to intern or pay dues.

Heck I will do a non-educational internship anytime, just to work with serious talent in this town and establish good vibe relationships - Do you need me to mop, get coffee, or stay up all night tuning vocals?

Keys for success in this industry: Become more disciplined, remove distractions from your life, lose the Pity Party and improve your attitude.

4] Judgmental people who think everything is so Black and White.

These are but a few.

Bryan Lewis
My friend had an artist ask if the Drummer could play a bit more melody on the Kick Drum. ROFL!!!
That is funny ! ! ! How bout this. My husband plays drums, can he play on this session?
Too funny.
Sorry, but let me add one more. I am on a roll! *Musicians that put other musicians down, instead of encouraging them in their gift or encouraging them to improve their craft. - Bryan
Getting fired via text message.
She probably just wanted to start somewhere-it's her good luck that she was talking to you and not to some of the "producers" in town that would guarantee her a record deal for $10,000 invested.
These guys are my pet peeve-a little honesty goes a long way. Although being a "song shark" is probably the Second Oldest Profession in Nashville......

RSS

Latest Activity

J. K. Coltrain posted photos
yesterday
J. K. Coltrain updated their profile
yesterday
J. K. Coltrain and Ross Key are now friends
yesterday
J. K. Coltrain posted a song

play somebody's Angel - j.K. Coltrain

broken
03:39
yesterday
J. K. Coltrain posted a status
"We are havingrtist showcase during The Country Radio Seminar next year. Signup early to reserve your spot http://www.countrystarshowcase.com"
yesterday
J. K. Coltrain posted a status
"I thought that I would share this video of Eagle Over Angel from The Country Junction TV Show. http://youtu.be/l9hksSt0k80"
yesterday
Jim Colyer posted a song

play HARD EARNED LOVE wbg

03:08
Thursday
Jim Colyer posted a status
"Annie CD almost complete!"
Thursday
Jim Colyer shared a profile on Twitter
Thursday
Jim Colyer shared a profile on Facebook
Thursday