So I am an AES member, and proud to be. I wanted to see what other organizations are out there for audio professionals, and what folks think of them - their benefits, downfalls, etc.
My top ten reasons why I think being an AES member is kickin':
1. The insurance you can get through it. That's right. Insurance. Health. Woah.
2. The networking opportunities - an event where you get to meet people who are either starting out, in the midst or legends. All in one place. Awesome.
3. Meeting guys (if you are a single chick) - my gal pals always ask where all the men are. HA! I say, AES.
4. The meetings where you get to see all the studios you wish would employ you, but don't (or do, if you are the few, the proud).
5. The gear that you get to see, that you may never be able to afford, but then again, here comes Christmas (or Hanukkah!). Mom? Dad? Can you buy me an HD rig?
6. The guest speakers - some fly in, some stagger in, but they all have intelligent things to say. Oh, and a lot of them are famous - at least within the industry.
7. The great analog vs. digital debate - makes for a good floor show sometimes.
8. Where else can you play a full-blown poker tournament with an external hard drive as the prize and get a healthy and fierce competition going? Hilarious.
9. The non-audio related events, like hang-out sessions at bars/restaurants, golf tournaments, etc. - we also get to have an outside life. Brilliant.
10. A reason for us all to come out of our respective audio caves.
Do you know of other organizations like this? I would love to hear about them and what you think of them. I myself have heard of NAPRS - is anyone a thrilled member who can tell us more?
What else is out there?