Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Hey all,
What are the best phones these days?
Best,
BD

Views: 192

Replies to This Discussion

I've used many different headphones over the years. To me it seems that no one headphone can fit all situations. It comes down to so many variables: Sound isolation, comfortable fit, overall perception of loudness, low end reproduction, "hype" (one of my personal favorites) or flatness, external bleed, cord length/type, and on and so forth, etc. While I may prefer Grados for doing edits of a very "organic" sounding piece, I may prefer Sony 7506's or even 7509's for loud rock or less "organic" stuff. I remember sitting in DaCapo Music Studio(Jonell Polansky's place) for hours one late night, and after wearing a set of Sony 7506's for what seemed like an eternity, finding that my ears felt like they had been folded over on themselves and then glued in place. So, I started trying out other headphones, mostly out of curiosity, and strictly for comfort. I ended up using a set of sennheiser hd280's (the pair she had was lined with a soft velvety material on the foam surrounds. This relieved the ear "foldedness") Over the years I have found myself using Fostex T-20's and T-40's, Ultrasone 450's and 550's, Sony 7506's and 7509's, AKG 241's and 271's, and so on and so forth. Really, it usually came down to what was most comfortable for the musician, physically and sonically. Sometimes when an artist complains of a poor headphone mix, or blames the headphones for a particular performance, the engineer should be grabbing a different set of phones, not necessarily a knob or fader. Anyway, thats my take on things.

been using the 280's for a while now. Very comfortable, nice definition, and I didnt have to sell my soul to Satan to afford them.

I still have my original pair of Fostex T-50's from 20+ years.  They still have all the original parts on them, and they still function perfectly.  I bought four pair of Fostex T-90's about 6-7 years ago, and they've been the regular use cans in my place since.  I love them.  I remember back at Belmont they decided that they'd buy the latest greatest Sony headphones to replace the aging Fostex headphones around 1991 or so.  Within about three or four weeks, all the $150 Sony headphones were blown out one at a time by various people.  They just weren't made to handle the environment.  But I've never seen a pair of the fostex headphones blown out.

RSS

Latest Activity

Al Babyok and John Heinrich are now friends
Monday
Randy Smith updated their profile
Friday
John Heinrich posted photos
Thursday
John Heinrich updated their profile
Thursday
John Heinrich and Paul Fey are now friends
Thursday
Frank A. Swiech posted a status
"Why Don't people get organized and have a raise money for poor kids in Westmoreland , Or East Nashville , Or Anywhere in OUR country .???"
Oct 15
Darryl Leach updated their profile
Oct 13
Cupit Recording Studio posted songs
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio is now friends with Mitch Matthews and David Mason
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio updated their profile
Oct 9
Lisa Bevill posted a status
"If anyone needs BGV's recorded on your projects, please post on my FB page or Lisa Bevill Music: https://www.facebook.com/LisaBevillMusic"
Oct 7
Lisa Bevill is now friends with Marc Frigo, Dana B Martin, chris lee stout and 3 more
Oct 7
Terry Wendt and Al Babyok are now friends
Oct 1
Al Babyok updated their profile
Sep 30
Al Babyok and Frank A. Swiech are now friends
Sep 30
Alex. Rockafellar updated their profile
Sep 29

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service