Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

So the Eagles have a new record out and it's only available at Walmart. There's 20 songs on two discs, and it costs $11.88. As many of us may recall, Garth Brooks released his box set exclusivly in Walmart and sold something like 20 billion copies of it. From a business perspective, it was certainly a good move for Garth. Now the Eagles have thrown their hat into that ring and more than likely, it's going to pay off for them. So, all that being said, does this bother anyone but me? Not only does it set a pretty high gauntlet for newer artists when a band like the Eagles are selling 20 songs for 12 bucks, but what's even more disturbing is the idea of Walmart becoming some weird sweat shop of a record label. Thoughts?

Views: 28

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm, not sure what I think about this, but I might add that Cracker Barrel has started their own "Label" to place their own exclusive music product in all the Cracker Barrel stores.

The times, they are a changin'
amazing
The way I see it is that the whole corporate giant concept is gradually taking over in every industry sector and music is now being gobbled up as well. I miss the days of the local mom and pop record shops, but alas as Dylan so eloquently once sang ..."The Times They Are A Changin". I'm afraid this is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Some how we all have to learn to adapt or else we will inevitably die.
Journey just did it as well. With two CD's and a DVD live concert. $11.88, as a consumer I love it. IF I was selling 20 Billion CD's I would love it more...LOL
I think it is a travesty, what has happened to the music industry... Not only has Walmart ruin the price of CD's for the artist by selling them to low, but the keepers of the gate in the industry have ruin the music business as well... In the old days, it was a rite of passage just to get in a recording studio, let alone get a record deal... They have opened the flood gates, by signing to many artists... You have to regulate it like diamonds or the price & the bar of excellence will fall to low like it is now... With technology & Pro-tools, everyone is recording in there bedrooms and not in the big rooms anymore.... Don't get me wrong, I love my Pro-tools as much as the next guy, but I think you have to be careful not to fall in the trap of quantizing everything & looping your ass off & doing vocal comps, because you lose the art & magic of playing and making magical records... I hope the gate keepers come to there senses & start raising the bar again for getting signed...

Thanks, Steve DellaVecchia
True, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Starbux....have their own labels. It used to be some artists handled their own cds in the tv market as well. I hope this is a transition period. In some ways, it is good, as the Eagles have certainly made lots of money and can keep the exposure coming (as if they need it) by selling like this, some artists make more money this way, but on the other side, it devalues an artist, and makes other artists who arent around for the long haul look like kings. I also believe there is a fine line between heart and business only in music. With all of the changes in the industry, I believe this is a transitional period.
Mandy,

I don't know how much of a heads up this really is for you considering the original poster is talking about "Long Road Out of Eden" which has been out for quite some time. As a third generation Eagles fan you have probably already worn your copy out and probably need to source a replacement copy? :-)

This has been a pet peeve of mine for sometime. It's certainly what it is....it's getting hard to stay in the business of being creative. Thanks Walmart. We will survive.

RSS

Latest Activity

Al Babyok and John Heinrich are now friends
12 hours ago
Randy Smith updated their profile
Friday
John Heinrich posted photos
Thursday
John Heinrich updated their profile
Thursday
John Heinrich and Paul Fey are now friends
Thursday
Frank A. Swiech posted a status
"Why Don't people get organized and have a raise money for poor kids in Westmoreland , Or East Nashville , Or Anywhere in OUR country .???"
Wednesday
Darryl Leach updated their profile
Oct 13
Cupit Recording Studio posted songs
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio is now friends with Mitch Matthews and David Mason
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio updated their profile
Oct 9
Lisa Bevill posted a status
"If anyone needs BGV's recorded on your projects, please post on my FB page or Lisa Bevill Music: https://www.facebook.com/LisaBevillMusic"
Oct 7
Lisa Bevill is now friends with Marc Frigo, Dana B Martin, chris lee stout and 3 more
Oct 7
Terry Wendt and Al Babyok are now friends
Oct 1
Al Babyok updated their profile
Sep 30
Al Babyok and Frank A. Swiech are now friends
Sep 30
Alex. Rockafellar updated their profile
Sep 29

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service