Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

I'm curious to see how many drummers are using a laptop to generate the click (and loops, perc. tracks, etc.) at a session, and what software everyone is using. If you don't use a laptop, what do you use?

Tags: click, computer, laptop, loop

Views: 181

Replies to This Discussion

The metronome I use it the Yamaha Clickstation.
Here's a review I did, in case you haven't seen it, but I'm guessing you have:
http://xrl.us/clickstation
One of its cool features is it slaves to midi, so you can generate your own click to sync with the control room, instead of getting cowbell 1/4 notes at 115dB on your ear for 8 hours.

Laptop wise, I use Ableton Live, which is about the coolest freakin software I've ever seen. It's so wysiwyg and drag-n-dop friendly... very Mac-like.

But I'm a less is more type of guy, both in playing and in technology. The fewer links in the chain, the better for me. If I don't need the laptop to make or run loops,etc., it's the Clickstation all the way.
I also use the clickstation for live stuff and the occasional demo session, but it doesn't have many sound choices, or rhythmic options. You get 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/16s or triplets and that's it. My old Alesis drum machines are still more musical. The main advantage is that the clickstation seems to be more durable than the Tama Rhythm Watch.
Anybody else using Ableton Live?
Shawn Pelton does a lot with it.
In town, I know that Will Denton was using it, last time I spoke to him.

The Demo is full service, just no saves or rendering. Check it out-- it's almost too versatile. :-) The latest version integrates mpeg video, too.
I have recently been using the Yamaha Click Station as well and I really like it. I appreciate the touch button that allows you to feel the tempo silently before counting the tune live, or running the loop in the studio.

I have heard that Cris McHugh is using Ableton live, in fact he and Jim Riley both were using it at the Fork's Clinic that they presented.
Are you using any pads to trigger/control Live?
That's the same set-up I'm using, except I use the M-Audio Firewire 410 i/o.
I've used it mostly for live performance, tracks/loops, etc. But it's also very good recording/editing/assembly app.

I like the look of that Saffire. Good price for 8 pre's. Is the headphone amp nice and loud?
do you like creating loops after the fact that you've cut the track? i've found it's more inspiring for myself and the other players if there is a creative loop while we're cutting the song. just wonderin.... : )
DISCONTINUED!? Wow, that's a great product. Simply, the best metronome out there. I'm think they have to be coming out with an improved version.

BTW Bart, I played a little jazz trio with Reed P the other night. He says nice thing about you.
I use the Yamaha Clickstation with wireless bluetooth headphones so I don't have to worry about wires.. It's the best way to go :)
I have a more "involved" setup for sessions. It's definitely different from what everyone else is saying. It really covers any situation i'm in. With this setup, i'm not limited (at least i haven't been yet. ha!) to anything. Here's the gear I do use:
-Apple Macbook
-Akai MPC 2500
-MOTU 828 mkII Audio Interface (firewire)
-Digital Perfomer 5.13
-Stylus RMX (with all expander packs)- this is the loop program i use.... AMAZING! (www.spectrasonics.net)

If you're interested in this setup please reply on this forum. I will be glad to go thru a more detailed way of how I run everything. Cheers!
I was using my Gateway for a while, but lately I've been running 2 or 3 Boss DR-202s. Just 1 for click. I use 2 machines to run click out of 1 and stereo loop out of the other. If I need more independent channels, I run a 3 rd machine. I just send the midi through a midi splitter/thru box, so both slaves receive signal simultaneously. If Pro-Tools is driving the machines, I take midi from Pro-Tools into the box, then split it 3 ways. I just found that I'm a lot faster getting to things in the dedicated beat boxes. I was spending a lot of time searching through loops and stuff. That's great in pre-production or if you have a big budget and a lot of time. I guess I need an excuse to run REASON again since I did 7 volumes of stuff for Sonic Reality that are REASON refills. (:>)
And your setup works just fine.

If you brought your laptop and a bunch of Reason loops, producers would start to wonder if they could just use the loops.... :)

RSS

Latest Activity

Kirk Thompson Producer/engineer left a comment for Tia Blanton
Monday
Billy Smiley updated their profile
Monday
Frank A. Swiech and John Heinrich are now friends
Oct 25
Jason Ahlbrandt updated their profile
Oct 22
Randy Smith updated their profile
Oct 17
John Heinrich posted photos
Oct 16
John Heinrich updated their profile
Oct 16
John Heinrich and Paul Fey are now friends
Oct 16
Frank A. Swiech posted a status
"Why Don't people get organized and have a raise money for poor kids in Westmoreland , Or East Nashville , Or Anywhere in OUR country .???"
Oct 15
Darryl Leach updated their profile
Oct 13
Cupit Recording Studio posted songs
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio is now friends with Mitch Matthews and David Mason
Oct 9
Cupit Recording Studio updated their profile
Oct 9
Lisa Bevill posted a status
"If anyone needs BGV's recorded on your projects, please post on my FB page or Lisa Bevill Music: https://www.facebook.com/LisaBevillMusic"
Oct 7
Lisa Bevill is now friends with Marc Frigo, Dana B Martin, chris lee stout and 3 more
Oct 7
Terry Wendt and Al Babyok are now friends
Oct 1

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service