Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Otari, Sony/MCI, Studer or Tascam?

I have been and still I am looking for the right machine for our studio. I am up to my ears in DAW, I love it but....We also currently use a 1" Tascam and it has served us well, but now it is time to step up. 

I am leaning toward Otari but I am way open to sugestions. Have you used one of these? If so what was your experience? 

Thanks for all the response in advance.

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

i'd do the studer because my experience was lovely.

Jack, I would probably go with either a Studer or an MCI right now, for different reasons. 

#1 Serviceability. A Sony/MCI wil probably be easier to keep serviced because Randy Blevins and his crew eat, breathe and sleep MCI.

#2 The Studer just sounds better in my opinion and there were so many of them here in Nashville, they might also be easier to find service for.

That's my $0.02

Hi Jack.

Experience tells me to go with what you can find in your budget and what will be easiest to maintain.

That being said a nice Studer A-80 MK III or MK IV is going to rock it.

They sound exceptional and can be easily maintained and even onsite repaired if one reads the manual :)

That being said, they are also everywhere so local maintenance should be available.

We are new here, been out by Franklin/Leipers fork for about  8 months now.

Just picked up an A-80 24 trk and also have maybe 4 or 5 Older Ampex 440s of various configurations, also have a Studer A-810 2 trrk

Depending upon what your plans are for the machine, go with 16 track if you are looking for track and dump to DAW.

Of course 24 is going to be more standardized for incoming clients with tape requirements.

You could find a very nice Ampex MM 1200 all cleaned up and pristine for around $8 to $10k. But the studer is going to offer ease of maintenance.

I love shopping! Let me know if you need any help looking for a machine!

Robert

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert Jason replied to Ed Bazel's discussion Looking for best location shot for a grand piano in Nashville
12 hours ago
Prentis Goodwin shared a profile on Facebook
Monday
Robert Jason posted a discussion
Friday
Pete Warren posted songs
Friday
Larry Sherdian posted a status
"any idea who would have/sell curtis chips for synths"
Apr 9
Glenn Thomas posted photos
Apr 9
Glenn Thomas posted a status
"Lots of new clients for Mastering. Thanks guys."
Apr 9
garytalley updated their profile
Apr 7
garytalley commented on Bret Teegarden's group Songwriters
Apr 7
garytalley posted a status
"Gary Talley's 4th Guitar and Tractor Pull at Kimbro's in hysterical downtown Franklin 7:00 Will McFarlane , Joe West , Jenny Tolman,"
Apr 7
Profile IconBuddy Blackmon, J.Paul Brittain and Joy Lemke joined Nashville Music Pros
Apr 7
Don Holmes replied to Dana B Martin's discussion Budget Home Studios
Apr 6
Don Holmes replied to Dana B Martin's discussion Budget Home Studios
Apr 6
Don Holmes replied to David DeLoach's discussion Musicians bailing out for a better gig a few days prior to a long standing/scheduled performance
Apr 6
Don Holmes posted a status
"Finishing a couple songs with "WillMac" in M. Shoals. Invited to write with a FAME artist…coming up."
Apr 6
Don Holmes updated their profile
Apr 6

© 2014   Created by Bret Teegarden.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service