Now shipping....

http://fatboygear.net

Otari, Sony/MCI, Studer or Tascam?

I have been and still I am looking for the right machine for our studio. I am up to my ears in DAW, I love it but....We also currently use a 1" Tascam and it has served us well, but now it is time to step up. 

I am leaning toward Otari but I am way open to sugestions. Have you used one of these? If so what was your experience? 

Thanks for all the response in advance.

Views: 43

Replies to This Discussion

i'd do the studer because my experience was lovely.

Jack, I would probably go with either a Studer or an MCI right now, for different reasons. 

#1 Serviceability. A Sony/MCI wil probably be easier to keep serviced because Randy Blevins and his crew eat, breathe and sleep MCI.

#2 The Studer just sounds better in my opinion and there were so many of them here in Nashville, they might also be easier to find service for.

That's my $0.02

Hi Jack.

Experience tells me to go with what you can find in your budget and what will be easiest to maintain.

That being said a nice Studer A-80 MK III or MK IV is going to rock it.

They sound exceptional and can be easily maintained and even onsite repaired if one reads the manual :)

That being said, they are also everywhere so local maintenance should be available.

We are new here, been out by Franklin/Leipers fork for about  8 months now.

Just picked up an A-80 24 trk and also have maybe 4 or 5 Older Ampex 440s of various configurations, also have a Studer A-810 2 trrk

Depending upon what your plans are for the machine, go with 16 track if you are looking for track and dump to DAW.

Of course 24 is going to be more standardized for incoming clients with tape requirements.

You could find a very nice Ampex MM 1200 all cleaned up and pristine for around $8 to $10k. But the studer is going to offer ease of maintenance.

I love shopping! Let me know if you need any help looking for a machine!

Robert

RSS

Latest Activity

Scott Pope updated their profile
Monday
Scott Pope posted photos
Monday
Larry Sherdian posted a status
"Who can fix my KM184's?"
Monday
Jim Moran and John Heinrich are now friends
Sunday
Profile IconBarry Gordon, David Kiggins, Joseph Nicoletti and 3 more joined Nashville Music Pros
Saturday
John Heinrich posted a photo
Jul 16
Burnice Bloosemgame joined Bret Teegarden's group
Jul 11
Joe Reed updated their profile
Jul 10
Jim Colyer posted a photo
Jul 9
Jim Colyer shared a profile on Twitter
Jul 9
Jim Colyer posted a status